Sunday, February 27, 2011

:: an eye opening elksperience ::

When asked what type of photographer I am, I do not use the words landscape, nature or animal in my answer.  The words portrait and wedding always make the cut. Sure, I could contently snap away photos of my sister-in-law's wacky dog Mable or my snobby cat Tom all day, but that doesn't quite compare to the opportunities I get to capture truly blissful engaged, just married or expecting couples.

I guess it wasn't until I moved to the lovely state of Colorado that I realized that I can sometimes mix these two categories of photography. I think I'll continue to keep weddings and portraits as my main focus, but I bet I will find myself grabbing my Nikon and zoom lens as I depart for future adventures in the Rockies...........

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you my first "nature portrait session."

Location - Rocky Mountain National Park.
My models - Rocky Mountain Mule Deer and a large herd of young Elk.


oh hello deer friend.



Pit stop - switched out the zoom for a fisheye. 
That is our nephew Ben standing between the two trees.































Just when we thought out luck was running out - we spotted a rather photogenic
herd of elk.








This little bird was really loving playing on this bull's back....







elk boxing.

Ben, enjoying our elk encounter. This is pre-too-close-for-comfort elk encounter. :)


the end. xoxo.





6 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are awesome pics. Love the bird on the elk's back.... I don't know if it was necessary to call my dear sweet Mable "wacky" for all the world to read, but I take your point. :) Thanks for snapping these gorgeous shots, so we can all see what you saw. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg!!!!! those are amazing!! i cant believe you had that many creatures near you!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Min, I hear Nat Geo calling! Amazing shots, great timing. You were one with the elk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEA! National Geographic was my first thought!!!! Honestly, you have a talent that will take you places...

    ReplyDelete