Wednesday, October 20, 2010

endless possibilities.

 Okay. So the title of my first blog post is really just the color of nail polish I am currently wearing, chosen at my manicure in Vail village a few days ago (Luxury? yes. Regular occurrence? I wish).  However, I think it sort of fits my current situation.

Let's start at the beginning. Beginning = mid June 2010.  Start of wedding season.  Busy season at the Boston hedge where I was employed. My husband Zach and I had been toying with the idea of moving out west, just for fun, so he started to apply for jobs in Denver, just to see what was out there.  Two weeks later Zach was on a plane to Denver for an interview.  One month after that was his first day at the job. For most fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants people, this would be really exciting.  This kind of change comes as somewhat of a shock for someone who has a self-run photography business that has scheduled 15 New England weddings, a handful of engagement shoots, a few family shoots, works a full-time job that provides gourmet lunches, five kinds of chilled iced tea, and great coworkers, and oh by-the-way owns a house, shelves and shelves of books, power tools, outdoor sporting equipment...................YIKES.

So we rented a 24 foot moving truck (only because we ordered Pods come to find out on the day of delivery that the 14x20 storage unit does not fit in our driveway because the retaining wall slants in about two feet at the top. Thank you construction of 1880.), continued packing (key word 'continued' - Zach somehow knew this move was going to happen months before it did), put a "For Rent" sign in front of the house and started to drive.  No no, we didn't just drive our already beastly truck with some light suitcases across the country and meet the moving truck at our new apartment. We.drove.the.moving.truck.aka semi. Actually, Zach and his dad drove the moving truck. Thank the Lord. I followed behind in my wine-collection-stuffed Dodge Dakota, clearly singing along to every mid west country music station for the entire 2,018 mile journey. Except through Cleveland, the only stretch of the drive where country music does not exist and you have to pay close attention as to not rollover your vehicle when you hit the highway's 90 degree turn going 70mph.

 We all made it to our new Denver apartment safely including every single item in both trucks. THANK YOU to Zach's mom for her freakishly good packing skills. Two days of heavy lifting up three flights of stairs (I think there was a bet between Zach and his mom whether or not there was an elevator in this apartment complex. Zach lost.), several bottles of G2 and about a thousand breaks to catch our breath later, we were moved in and quickly came to the realization that the furnishings of a 1300 square foot home do not fit into a 700 square foot apartment no matter which way you turn/stack them.  Courtesy of my degree in mathematics education (especially those classes involving volume and surface area)
 
And the fun began! Zach held down the fort in Denver and I flew back to MA where I began my August-October stint as a Nomad New England Wedding Photographer, continued to work part-time for my gracious Boston employer,  began the grueling task to secure tenants  in our home and jammed in as much quality time with family and friends as possible.  Sad and lonely to be living across the country from my husband of 4.5 years? Yes. Psyched to have balanced that out by spending so much time with my two best friends and most of my lovely family? Yes! Honestly, I think there is just too much to write down about that 2.5 months (which btw, seemed like 2.5 weeks).  So I'll list  some highlights. In no particular order. :)

1)   Spent each weekend with couples on one of the happiest days of their life. Thank you to all of my couples!
2)   Spent a three day weekend at a beach house with Mom and Rol.  Most of this time was spent watching riveting episodes of Swamp People...ha.
3)   Became hooked (I mean HOOKED) on Zumba with Rhi (best friend). Best.workout.ever. Might not win the trophy for most strenuous workout, but definitely takes the lead in the most fun workout category.
4)   Had a sleepover with work friends each week including Bravo shows, food leftover from our gourmet lunch work perk and a 4 minute walk through Boston's Back Bay to the office the next day. 
5)   Ate a new amazing meal followed by a refreshing rum and coke all other nights courtesy of Dad and Mo.
6)   Talked Stef (other best friend) into buying the set of Pyrex nesting bowls while antiquing on NH's antique alley. 
7)   Drove around a sporty little stick-shift black Jetta courtesy of my very generous brother-in-law El, currently serving in Afganistan.  
8)   Had a travel mug of fresh Dunkin's coffee on the ride to work - thanks Dad. 
9)   Ate loads of homegrown tomatoes, cantaloupe, watermelon and sweet potatoes in an attempt to clean up our garden for the incoming tenants.
10) Spent quality time with my Dad scouring, painting and covering up lead paint in our home to prepare for tenancy.
11) Made friends with the lead inspector due to our multiple inspections and clarifying phone calls. Thank.You.Massachusetts. 
12)  Spent loads of time visiting Hudsy (ie - cutest baby ever!). 
.........  

What a CRAZY two months. Finally all settled in. 100% missing my friends and family, but settled in and excited to see what will happen next. Now I will begin the months of editing  I have to do (STAY TUNED! All of that will follow this post in the coming days and weeks), drink some more french-pressed coffee, get ready for my meeting with a couple getting married at Breckenridge next summer (!!!!) and enjoy this view from my desk....


My life in the mile high has begun....the possibilities, as well as the of mountains filled with skiing/biking/hiking/amazing wedding and portrait locations, really do seem endless.

xoxo. Sarah.


ps - Did I mention we bought a house in the next town over and are moving in two weeks? :)











1 comment:

  1. I love you guys! I don't know who else could pull this all off. It's even crazier in writing than I thought about in real life. Can't wait to visit.

    p.s. Your blog is awesome.

    ReplyDelete